Common Questions

DSC_8069Here are some of the more common questions we’ve been asked. If your question is not answered here, feel free to ask us directly.
We’re always happy to help :)

Do you have glossary of photographic terms?

Yes; click here our list is added to on an ad-hoc basis, contact us if you think there is something missing?

ATAR Score? Do I need One?

No an ATAR score is not required; however you must have completed VCE or equivalent, to enrol and apply through VTAC.
All we ask is you bring a folio demonstrating your confidence and creativity to our interview.
Make sure fill in our application form, download it below; when it becomes available.

Can you recommend some online photo related links?

Yes see our links page for our growing list of useful photography links.

What are my public transport options?

You can either catch a tram train or bus.

By Train
To get public transport from Flinders St station, take the South Morang Line and get off at Preston Station, then transfer to the Northland bus – Route number 527 or number 903.

By Bus

  • 251 City and Port Melbourne (Garden City) via Thornbury, Northcote, Clifton Hill and Carlton (National)
  • 517 St Helena via Heidelberg Heights, Rosanna, Viewbank, Yallambie and Greensborough (Dysons)
  • 527 Gowrie Railway Station via Preston, Coburg, Pascoe Vale and Hadfield (Ivanhoe)
  • 549 Northland to Ivanhoe Railway Station via Oriel Road Heidelberg West (Ivanhoe)
  • 550 Latrobe University Interchange via Heidelberg West and Heidelberg Heights (Ivanhoe)
  • 555 Epping via High Street Preston, Reservoir, Thomastown and Lalor (Reservoir)
  • 556 Epping via Dalton Road Reservoir, Thomastown and Lalor.
  • 563 Greensborough to Northland via Mill Park and Plenty Road
  • 566 Lalor via Kingsbury, Bundoora, Greensborough and Mill Park (Dysons)
  • 567 To Regent Station via Northland, East Preston then to High Street via Fairfield Station
  • 903 Altona to Mordialloc via Coburg, Preston, Northland, Heidelberg and Doncaster (a new SmartBus service operating more frequently and over longer hours than most other bus routes).

By Tram
Board the 112 tram towards West Preston via Brunswick Street at Collins Street.
Board the 86 tram towards Bundoora RMIT via Smith Street, at the corner of Swanston St/Bourke St (Melbourne City)

I have moved, or changed phone numbers?

If your details change at any time during the application process please inform us immediately we’d hate to see you lose out on a place here because we couldn’t contact you and then offer your place to another student.

I have posted my application, what’s next?

Once we receive your application, we will contact you to arrange an interview. Please make sure you are contactable from November of the year you apply to February the year the course starts.

I am unable to attend the interview?

Life is unpredictable, we understand this. If a situation arises that prevents you from attending your interview; please, contact us asap to organise a new interview time and date.

Can I apply for recognition of prior learning?

Yes. If you I have done some work in the photographic industry already.

However you must first enrol by filling in the enrolment paperwork, and then also fill in an application for recognition of prior learning. Which involves documenting your prior experience. This process can take up 6 weeks and requires an extra payment on top of the Materials levy.

Can I defer my studies?

Yes. However; you must enrol first.

What are the entrance requirements for the course?

You must have completed year 12 English successfully.
You must download, fill in and return the application form to organise an interview.

What happens in the interview?

The interview is an oppurtunity for you to meet us and see your creative potential and share your creative work with us.

You get to ask us lots of questions and get a feel for what the course might be like. The interview takes around 15 minutes. You are also given a tour of our fantastic facilities, if you have not already done so.

I drive. Is there on site parking?

Yes there is ample parking onsite, enter from Sheila Street, Preston..

Can I study part time?

No. However the Certificate III in Visual Arts ia 2 or 3 day course  so contact us for more information.

What should I bring to the interview?

Any and all creative work you have undertaken. This can be a high school folio, any medium & media, commissioned work or self directed projects. Anything at all that demonstrates your commitment to creative endeavours.

Also see the apply now page.

Do I need my own camera?

No, we supply all materials and equipment necessary to pass the Certificate IV and the Diploma. You can read detailed info about the supplied materials on the course page.

What is the study load for the course?

The course load is approximately 36 hours per week. See the course page for more info.

How is the timetable structured?

Classes run from Tuesday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm. Some evenings we stay open longer to facilitate the production of your final portfolios. There’s more information on the course page.

When is the next course?

We enroll students once per year. Usually in February. Actual dates are given once,your place has been offered by VTAC.

What is your address?

We situated are at 62 Murray Road Preston.
You can get here by tram, train, bus or driving.
Our address in the Melways is Map 19 12B, and there’s a map on our contact page.


If we didn’t give you the answer you’re looking for, you can email us directly.